Contact: Janice Osborne
Regional Communications Officer
Telephone: (610) 865-4400
Pager: (610) 830-9771
FOR MEDIA ONLY
Northeast PA food banks available to help residents
See bottom of news release for complete list of Northeast PA
Region Red Cross chapters and contact information
NORTHEAST, PA (Nov. 5, 2012) – The American Red Cross has been receiving numerous phone calls from the public asking about financial assistance for food or replacement of groceries lost during the recent power outages. While it would be nearly impossible, both logistically and financially, for the Red Cross to replace groceries for that many people, there are other agencies that can help.
Residents may call their major food bank distributor in Northeast Pennsylvania or call 2-1-1 (1-855-501-6785) for a list of food banks in their area.
Below is a list of Northeast Pennsylvania counties and contact information for major food banks within the counties:
- Lehigh, Northampton, Carbon, Wayne, Pike and Monroe counties: Please call Second Harvest Food Bank at (610) 434-0875 or visit www.shfblv.org for a list of food banks in your neighborhood. For Lehigh and Northampton counties residents only, disaster boxes filled with nonperishable food are being distributed. Residents must pick up the boxes at 2045 Harvest Way in Allentown, Monday-Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Berks and Schuylkill counties, call the Greater Berks Food Bank at (610) 926-5802.
- Lackawanna, Wyoming, Susquehanna, and Luzerne counties, call Weinberg Food Bank at (570) 826-0510.
- Bradford and Sullivan counties, call the Williamsport Food Bank at (570) 321-8023.
- Columbia County and Montour counties, call Central Pennsylvania Food Bank at (717) 564-1700 or (570) 321-8023.
Northeast PA Region Red Cross chapters and contact information:
|Janet Curtis||Carmon Flynn||Rita Inklovich|
|Executive Director||Executive Director||Executive Director|
Office: (610) 375-4383, ext. 121
Cell: (570) 789-3659
Office: (570) 207-0111
|DanvilleArea, Bloomsburg, Greater Berwick
Office: (570) 784-1395
|Cell: (570) 290-0797||Cell: (570) 594-3217|
|Jim Rienhardt||Sherry Williams||John Hughes|
|Executive Director||Executive Director||Regional CEO|
|Poconos, Wayne Pike||WyomingValley,Hazleton||GreaterLehighValley|
|Office: (570) 476-3800
Cell: (570) 234-9444
|Office: (570) 823-7161, ext. 325
Cell: (570) 417-5608
|Office: (610) 865-4400, ext. 236
Cell: (610) 533-0500
American Red Cross
2200 Avenue A,Bethlehem, PA 18017
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.